The Lil' Reading Scientists Literacy Solutions TM Informal Literacy Assessment (Basic - Advanced) is perfect for ascertaining where children are on the literacy acquisition continuum. This informal literacy assessment informs the teacher exactly where the breakdown is occurring for students with reading issues, and informs the teacher of where to start in the instructional continuum.
Teachers, Tutors, or Specialists administer the assessment in about 20 minutes per student, and glean valuable data regarding children's literacy levels in the following areas:
1) Phonemic Awareness Skills (9 Skills are included)
2) Pre-Reading Skills (knowledge of the ability to name colors, shapes, and numbers rapidly and automatically)
3) Ability to name alphabet letters and provide their corresponding sounds
4) Ability to read CVC Short Vowel Words
5) Ability to give the sounds for the basic Digraphs and for the -ng and -nk Endings
6) Ability to read words with digraphs, -ng and -nk endings, blends, and long vowels
7) Ability to read compound and two-syllable words
8) Ability to read sight words
9) Ability to decode nonsense words
10) Ability to spell words with short vowels, digraphs, blends, -ng and -nk endings, sight words, compound, and two-syllable words
11) Ability to read words with Bossy R, Vowel Teams, the Open and CLE Syllable Types, Soft C and G, dge, tch, advanced digraphs (ph, gh), and vowel diphthongs
The Lil' Reading Scientists Informal Assessment pinpoints the exact skills that students need to be working on, and demonstrates the student's literacy strengths and weaknesses in a quick and efficient manner. The data gathered from the assessment results informs lesson planning and instruction, and provides the teacher with a birds-eye view of the student's areas of need.
The Lil' Reading Scientists Literacy Solutions TM curriculum is based on the principles of the Orton Gillingham Approach!